Electrical District No. 2 was formed in 1923 as a special district pursuant to Arizona Revised Statutes. As a special district, it is a municipal corporation and political subdivision of the State of Arizona. The District was the first of its kind in the United States, predating the creation of other electrical districts throughout Pinal and Maricopa Counties. The District encompasses approximately 120,000 acres located in the general area of Casa Grande, Florence and Coolidge. Within this area the District operates about 455 miles of distribution line and serves approximately 4,450 customers, including residential, commercial, industrial and farm irrigation customers.